We have answers!
The development process
How much does a website cost to build?
The cost of a website varies depending on many factors, such as how large your website will be, how much input you want to have, how many “bells and whistles” you want it to have, whether you will write out the copy (text content) in full, whether you will gather your own images or leave it to us, etc. A general ballpark estimate for a standard 5 page website is around $1500 – $1750.
How long will it take you to build my website?
We aim to get a client’s website started within 3 months of the initial contact, but the time it takes to build your website varies depending on our availability and how long it will take you to get the content to us.
What are the steps involved in building my website?
Although you are hiring us to build your website, you still have some work to do in the process as well.
- You fill out the “Needs Assessment” form (click here for Needs Assessment form) to give us an idea of what type of website you will require.
- We provide you with an estimate for the cost of building your website, and an estimated date for when it can be built.
- If you choose to work with us, you put down a deposit, and we begin our partnership.
- You fill out the website content form (click here for Website Content form), providing us with the majority of the information we need to design and populate your website.
- You select and purchase (if necessary) images for your website and send them to us (we can take care of this step if you wish to hand over the reigns to us).
- You provide us with any additional copy (aka text content) needed to populate your website. This can either be in point form or in full paragraphs.
- Once all the content has been received and you’re next on the job schedule, we go to work on the fun part!
- We provide you with an overview of the colour and font selections for your approval, as well as a (very) general layout of the website.
- We will provide you a snapshot of what your homepage will look like for your approval, then hit the ground running! If you have mentioned that you would like a lot of input in the design, we will check in with you for approval throughout the process (this will extend the time needed as well as increase the cost of the website).
- Once complete, we give you a link to the website for your approval.
- We then deploy the website live on the host of your choice for the world to enjoy!
How much say will I have in the design of my website?
Once we agree on a general look and feel of the website, you can either choose to let us have full creative control, or you may wish to be consulted along the way. The more checking in we have to do, the more the website build will cost.
Do you guarantee that our website will rank high in search results?
The majority of our websites tend to display in one of the top 5 spots for search queries related to their business. However, because Google rankings are ultimately controlled by Google, we can not absolutely guarantee that your website will receive high search rankings.
Hosting, Domain, WordPress… what is all this?
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system, used to store content and enable a user to create and publish webpages. WordPress was originally created as a blog-publishing system but has evolved to support all other web content types. WordPress is one of the most popular content management system solutions in use today, and is very popular with developers due to its ability to accept custom coding, its high security, and its dependibility.
What is a website host and what is a domain?
You are responsible for setting up your hosting services and securing a domain name, and then providing us with the log in details needed to access your account.
A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed in the Internet. Websites are hosted, or stored, on special computers called servers. Hosting typically costs around $8.00 per month, depending on your needs.
A domain name refers to your website address. This is what users type in a browser’s search bar to directly access your website. A domain name is unique and cannot be shared between different sites. Domain Names are purchased through a Domain Name Registrar (there are many, many companies who do this). Domain names typically cost around $10.00-$20.00 per year.
Who do you recommend for website hosting and domain registration?
To keep things simple, I like to recommend that clients use the same company for both their hosting and domain registration. Often, hosting companies will provide you with a year of free domain registration if you purchase their hosting package. I recommend Bluehost, they are affordable, secure, and fast (click here for the Bluehost website).
Other Website Services
Do you offer Freelance services?
Yes, we do offer freelance services at an hourly rate. Our freelance website services include website re-design, website content updates, and website SEO improvements. Read more info by clicking here.
Do you offer website management services?
Yes, we do offer ongoing website management services at an hourly rate. This includes regular content updates, software updates, Google Analytics tracking, and overall performance & health checks, or all of the above.
My website isn’t appearing in Google searches. Can you improve my SEO?
If your website is not performing well in google searches, then your website’s SEO (Search Engine Optimization) likely needs improving. We can definitely help with with your website optimization! Read more here.
About the company
Where is Paradise West located?
Paradise West Website Design is a home-based business located in Qualicum Beach, B.C., Canada on central Vancouver Island.
Are you a one-man show?
Paradise West is actually a “one-WOMAN show”, for the most part. I do have other small businesses that I can outsource to for logo design, copy-writing, and photography if required.
How long have you been in business?
Paradise West has been operating since 2017.
The final product, and beyond…
What if I want to change things on my website once I see it live?
We provide limited support for small adjustments one month after the website is launched. Any major changes will be billed hourly.
Will I be able to edit my website and add blog posts?
Yes, you will be provided with instructions on how to easily edit, update, and add to the content of your WordPress website.
Do you provide ongoing website maintenance and/or support?
Yes, for a set monthly cost we provide regular monthly website maintenance, and we can also provide further support in the future for an hourly rate.